Victorians to benefit from lived experience leadership funding
Astra Dadzis | 27 August 2021
The move towards lived experience leadership as an essential part of mental health reform continues to gain momentum.
A $4 million funding package has been announced by the Victorian Government, after a Royal Commission into that State’s mental health system highlighted the importance of shared understanding and experience in supporting the recovery of others.
It is a welcome investment in developing and strengthening a workforce that uses personal experience to deliver appropriate and effective services and initiatives.
Under the funding package:
- 19 specialist mental health services in metropolitan and regional Victoria will share $2.01 million, to help recruit new positions and provide professional development for lived experience workers.
- Mental Health Victoria will receive $360,000 to manage grants that help develop lived experience workforce leadership.
- Victorian peak bodies, Tandem and the Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council, will each receive $121,000 annually over the next two years to employ a lived experience workforce lead – a key liaison role between the Department of Health and the lived experience workforce on policy and reform developments.
- The Self-Help Addiction Resource Centre will receive $400,000 to lead the first phase development of a training package, ensuring lived experience workers have the knowledge, skills, and confidence to succeed in their roles.
- A new peer cadet program will receive more than $1 million to promote career pathways for lived experience workforces in community mental health services, helping cadets studying a Certificate IV in Peer Work gain valuable experience and mentoring in the sector.
There is no better time to use your lived experience to make a difference – to join others in creating a mental health workforce shaped by people with first-hand insights.
The Finding North Network will identify and promote leadership opportunities on the platform and – where possible – support members who want to pursue them.
That support includes increasing people’s leadership knowledge and skills through free training and guidance from guest speakers.
Finding North’s Live Feed area is also the ideal place to post any leadership opportunities you may know of.
Let's combine our knowledge and grow a strong voice of lived experience!